Head-on semi-truck accidents only make up about three percent of all semi-truck accidents per year according to data from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Therefore, the chances of being involved in a head-on semi-truck accident are quite low. The following are eleven common ways head-on semi-truck accidents occur.
11 Common Ways Head-on Semi-Truck Accidents Occur
- A driver passes another vehicle on a rural on-way road. A solid yellow line painted on the roadway is to indicate that it is unsafe to pass in that area. However, many drivers still do it.
- The driver is suffering from a medical issue or falls asleep. Head-on car accidents happen most frequently at nighttime when visibility is low and driver fatigue is high.
- An alcohol-impaired driver causes the driver to swerve or leave his or her lane of travel.
- A confused driver travels in the wrong direction on a one-way road or highway ramp.
- This is particularly the cause for head-on collisions on rural roads or winding roadways. A vehicle may not be able to stay in its lane when negotiating curves and oncoming traffic is unable to see the vehicle until it’s too late.
- Bad weather conditions making it hard for the driver to see where his or her lane of travel is.
- When a driver swerves to avoid an obstacle in the roadway. For example, another vehicle, animal, person, or debris.
- A tire blowout or other vehicle malfunction which causes the driver to lose control. Blown out tires are a common occurrence for tractor-trailers.
- Distracted driving causes the driver to drift out of his or her lane of travel and into oncoming traffic.
- In a construction zone that has altered the lane alignment causing the driver to become confused and ends up winding him or her into oncoming traffic.
- Multiple car pileups that involves vehicles being pushed into opposing lanes of travel.
Tips to Prevent a Head-on Semi Truck Accident
- On multiple-lane highways, drive in the right-hand lane. This will make it safer and easier to pull over into a ditch or off the side of the road rather than hitting head-on.
- If you see an oncoming vehicle heading straight for you, quickly veer to the right. This will prevent you from going into lanes of other vehicles.
- Gain more stability by keeping the two wheels on the driver’s side on the pavement when pulling over to a shoulder.
- Choose to hit a fixed object on the side of the road rather than hitting another vehicle. The fixed object has no momentum and will usually cause less injury.
- If you come across an aggressive driver, don’t react to them in the same manor. Let them pass.
- Semi trucks require more time to react. Avoid making unpredictable actions such as quick lane changes.
- Avoid driving in a semi truck driver’s blind spot. Always make sure you can see a truck driver in their side mirror. This guarantee’s that they can see you.
Contact a Semi Truck Accident Attorney Now
Don’t wait to call a semi truck accident lawyer at Brent Gordon Law Firm. Our experienced, aggressive and trusted attorneys will fight for every penny you deserve. Call our Idaho Falls or Pocatello law office now for a free consultation. We can help take the stress out of the claim and make sure you get every penny you are owed. Call (208) 552-0467 now to discuss your semi truck accident with an experienced attorney during a free case review.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case
Idaho Falls Law Office
Our Idaho Falls, Idaho law office services clients in and surrounding Idaho Falls, including for injuries and accidents in Ammon, Rigby, injuries and accidents in Shelley and Blackfoot, and injuries and accidents in Rexburg. If you are looking for an attorney in the Idaho Falls area, visit or call our Idaho Falls office now. 3423 Merlin Dr., Idaho Falls, ID 83404 Phone:(208) 552-0467
Gordon Law Idaho Falls
Pocatello Law Office
Our Pocatello, Idaho law office services clients in and surrounding Pocatello, including for injuries and accidents in Chubbuck. If you are looking for an attorney in the Pocatello area, call our Pocatello office now. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve. Call (208) 232-7274 for a free consultation.151 North 3rd, Suite 202A Pocatello, ID 83204 Phone:(208)232-7274
Gordon Law Pocatello
Brent Gordon Law
Southeast Idaho Personal Injury Attorney Idaho Falls Personal Injury Attorney Pocatello Personal Injury Attorney Blackfoot Personal Injury Attorney Rexburg Personal Injury Attorney Rigby Personal Injury Attorney Car Accidents Worker's Compensation Semi Truck Accidents Motorcycle Accidents Wrongful Death Dog Bite Injuries Slip and Fall Accidents Bicycle Accidents Site Map