A semi truck overturned on northbound I-15 causing injury to the semi truck driver. Idaho State Police reported a sing-vehicle injury crash south of Malad when a semi truck hauling a single trailer drove off the left shoulder causing the semi to overturn. The driver of the semi truck was taken by ground ambulance to a nearby hospital for evaluation of injuries. Police reported the left lane of traffic blocked for about six hours as crews worked to clear the wreckage. The following are some tips to avoid an accident when debris is on the roadway following a semi truck overturned.
Tips to Avoid an Accident from Road Debris
The following are a few tips to help you avoid a car crash with road debris.
- Scan the road ahead continually to search for any road debris or hazards.
- Always have a plan to escape in the event there should suddenly appear debris in your lane. Know where other cars around you. Maintain an open space in front and at least one side of your vehicle at all times. Should a need arise, you could steer into that open space to avoid a collision with an object on the road.
- Never tailgate! Leave a safe traveling distance between you and the car in front of you at all times. A good suggested amount of time is three to four seconds. More if the roadway is in bad condition.
- When driving at night or at dusk, be especially alert for animals or debris on the roadway.
- If you are about to hit debris, safely slow down as much as possible prior to making contact and try to hit it with a tire.
Road Debris Car Crash Statistics
Debris-related car crashes are often preventable. In fact, according to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, two in three car crashes caused by debris result from items falling from a vehicle due to unsecured cargo or improper maintenance. Common road debris includes things that detach from a vehicle or unsecured cargo such as furniture. Other common road debris could also include a tow trailer becoming separated from pulling vehicle.
Though every state has laws making it illegal for items to fall from a vehicle, fines can range from just $10 up to $5,000. In addition, 16 states list jail as a possible punishment for offenders of lost cargo.
Southeast Idaho Personal Injury Attorney
If you feel you are entitled to recover damages from a car accident, truck accident, dog bite, or other personal injuries, contact Brent Gordon Law Firm in Idaho Falls or Pocatello. Brent Gordon Law Firm offers a free consultation. This is your opportunity to discuss your accident with an experienced, trusted and knowledgeable personal injury attorney about your car accident. Call our law office today at (208) 232-7274.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case
Idaho Falls Law Office
Our Idaho Falls, Idaho law office services clients in and surrounding Idaho Falls, including for injuries and accidents in Ammon, Rigby, injuries and accidents in Shelley and Blackfoot, and injuries and accidents in Rexburg. If you are looking for an attorney in the Idaho Falls area, visit or call our Idaho Falls office now. 3423 Merlin Dr., Idaho Falls, ID 83404 Phone:(208) 552-0467
Gordon Law Idaho Falls
Pocatello Law Office
Our Pocatello, Idaho law office services clients in and surrounding Pocatello, including for injuries and accidents in Chubbuck. If you are looking for an attorney in the Pocatello area, call our Pocatello office now. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve. Call (208) 232-7274 for a free consultation.151 North 3rd, Suite 202A Pocatello, ID 83204 Phone:(208)232-7274
Gordon Law Pocatello
Brent Gordon Law
Southeast Idaho Personal Injury Attorney Idaho Falls Personal Injury Attorney Pocatello Personal Injury Attorney Blackfoot Personal Injury Attorney Rexburg Personal Injury Attorney Rigby Personal Injury Attorney Car Accidents Worker's Compensation Semi Truck Accidents Motorcycle Accidents Wrongful Death Dog Bite Injuries Slip and Fall Accidents Bicycle Accidents Site Map