Idaho State Police reported a pedestrian vs vehicle crash near Idaho Falls. A pedestrian was walking along the highway when they were hit by a vehicle. The pedestrian was transported by ground ambulance to a nearby medical center for evaluation of injuries.
How Drivers Can Keep Pedestrians Safe
There are three age groups most at risk as pedestrians, kids ages 5 to 9, seniors over 65 and persons under the influence. Here are some tips for drivers to avoid hitting a pedestrian.
- Predict what a child might do. For example, if you see a ball crossing in front of your vehicle, assume a child is going to dart out in front of you to get the ball.
- Be aware of crosswalks and slow down.
- Keep a close eye out in parking lots.
- Be extra cautious when backing out of your driveway.
- Avoid using your smartphone at all times while driving.
- Stay alert of pedestrians even at night.
- Slow down in bad weather conditions. Pedestrians are likely to be in more of a hurry to get out of the rain/snow.
How to Be a Safe Pedestrian
In 2013, nearly 5,000 pedestrians were killed and an estimated 66,000 were injured according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Here are some tips to keep you safe as a pedestrian.
- Think before you cross. Plan crossing at a place with a crosswalk with the most visibility. If you are walking at night, wear visible clothing and cross at a place where you can clearly see traffic and drivers can see you.
- Make a complete stop before you cross. Stand away from the edge of the curb but close enough that you can clearly see traffic. Don’t rush. Take a good look around and give yourself enough time to cross.
- Look all around and listen for traffic.
- Patiently wait for traffic to clear. If you are hesitant, do not cross. Only cross when there is a safe gap and you have enough time to cross.
- Watch and listen while you are crossing. Continue to look both ways and listen for vehicles approaching while crossing.
To summarize, stop, look and listen.
Personal Injury Attorney in Idaho Falls or Pocatello
If you’ve been injured as a pedestrian or involved in a car accident, contact the personal injury attorneys in Idaho Falls or Pocatello at Brent Gordon Law Firm to handle your case. Our law firm believes every client deserves top-tier representation against big insurance companies with deep pockets. Call (208) 552-0467 today for a free consultation. Let us help you beat Goliath!
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case
Idaho Falls Law Office
Our Idaho Falls, Idaho law office services clients in and surrounding Idaho Falls, including for injuries and accidents in Ammon, Rigby, injuries and accidents in Shelly and Blackfoot, and injuries and accidents in Rexburg. If you are looking for an attorney in the Idaho Falls area, visit or call our Idaho Falls office now. 477 Shoup Ave, Suite 101 Idaho Falls, ID 83402 Phone:(208) 552-0467
Gordon Law Idaho Falls
Pocatello Law Office
Our Pocatello, Idaho law office services clients in and surrounding Pocatello, including for injuries and accidents in Chubbuck. If you are looking for an attorney in the Pocatello area, call our Pocatello office now. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve. Call (208) 232-7274 for a free consultation. 154 North Main St. Pocatello, ID 83204 Phone:(208) 232-7274
Gordon Law Pocatello
Southeast Idaho Personal Injury Attorney Idaho Falls Personal Injury Attorney Pocatello Personal Injury Attorney Blackfoot Personal Injury Attorney Rexburg Personal Injury Attorney Rigby Personal Injury Attorney Car Accidents Worker's Compensation Semi Truck Accidents Motorcycle Accidents Wrongful Death Dog Bite Injuries Slip and Fall Accidents Bicycle Accidents Site Map