The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has reported that car crashes are a leading cause of death in children age 1 to 13. This is why it is important to have a proper car seat for your young children when traveling in the car. Car seats are intended to provide protection for infants and young children in the event of a car accident. Here are some tips to help keep your child safe in a car crash.
Tips to Keep Your Child Safe in a Car Crash
In order to keep your child safe in a car crash, you must find do the following:
- Find the right car seat for your child’s age, height and weight.
- Install the car seat correctly in your vehicle.
- Adjust the seatbelts of the car seat to correctly fit around your child.
In addition to these, it is also important to register your car seat and sign up for any safety recalls about the seat from the manufacture.
Types of Car Seats
Keep in mind as your child grows, the way they sit in your car will change. Be sure to keep up with these changes as your child continues to grow. In addition, it is important to note that not all car seats fit in all vehicles. When purchasing a car seat, make sure it fits securely in your vehicle. Test the car seat you are planning to purchase beforehand. Never use a car seat that does not fit your vehicle.
There are three different types of car seats your child will use before transitioning to a traditional seat belt in the car.
- Rear-facing car seat. A rear-facing car seat is best to keep young children safe. It has a harness and is designed to cradle and move with the child in a crash to reduce the stress to the child’s fragile neck and spinal cord. These include an infant car seat, a convertible seat, or an all-in-one seat. It is best to keep your children rear facing for as long as possible; typically until age 3 depending on height and weight.
- Forward-facing car seat. A forward-facing car seat has a harness and tether to limit your child’s forward movement during a car accident. Forward-facing seats include a convertible seat, a combination seat or an all-in-one seat. These types of car seats are typically used from ages 1 to 3 or 4 to 7 depending on the child’s height and weight as well as the seat.
- Booster seat. A booster seat positions the seat belt to fit properly over the stronger parts of the child’s body. Booster seats include an all-in-one seat, a combination seat, a backless booster seat or a booster seat with high back. A booster seat is typically used from age 4 to 7 or 8 to 12 depending on the child’s height and weight as well as the seat and vehicle.
Make sure you are using the right car seat for your child’s safety. Click here for a link to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s recommendations.
Car Accident Attorney in Southeast Idaho
If you or your child has been injured in a car accident due to the negligence of another driver, contact Brent Gordon Law Firm to handle your case. Our law firm will fight for every penny you are owed. Let us fight the insurance company and handle the stress of your case. Call (208) 552-0467 now for a free consultation with an experienced attorney.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case
Idaho Falls Law Office
Our Idaho Falls, Idaho law office services clients in and surrounding Idaho Falls, including for injuries and accidents in Ammon, Rigby, injuries and accidents in Shelley and Blackfoot, and injuries and accidents in Rexburg. If you are looking for an attorney in the Idaho Falls area, visit or call our Idaho Falls office now. 3423 Merlin Dr., Idaho Falls, ID 83404 Phone:(208) 552-0467
Gordon Law Idaho Falls
Pocatello Law Office
Our Pocatello, Idaho law office services clients in and surrounding Pocatello, including for injuries and accidents in Chubbuck. If you are looking for an attorney in the Pocatello area, call our Pocatello office now. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve. Call (208) 232-7274 for a free consultation.151 North 3rd, Suite 202A Pocatello, ID 83204 Phone:(208)232-7274
Gordon Law Pocatello
Brent Gordon Law
Southeast Idaho Personal Injury Attorney Idaho Falls Personal Injury Attorney Pocatello Personal Injury Attorney Blackfoot Personal Injury Attorney Rexburg Personal Injury Attorney Rigby Personal Injury Attorney Car Accidents Worker's Compensation Semi Truck Accidents Motorcycle Accidents Wrongful Death Dog Bite Injuries Slip and Fall Accidents Bicycle Accidents Site Map