Driving on the highways can be nerve racking for some. Here are some tips to keep yourself out of a car accident as well as the Idaho Rules of the Road governing highways.
Tips to Avoid a Car Accident on the Highway
- Check your mirrors frequently. It is always a good idea to know what is around you and plan a form of action for should an emergency arise.
- Keep at least a three second distance between you and the car in front of you. In addition, be aware of sudden stops to avoid crashing into cars around you.
- Remove all distractions. It is always important to put away all distractions (cell phone, food, radio, etc.) when driving but even more so when driving at high speeds on the highways.
- Keep up with traffic. As a good rule of thumb it is best to keep up with the flow of traffic to help everyone move along. Often times drivers will become inpatient and you will see vehicles darting in and out of lanes. If you notice an impatient driver, try to get out of their way or avoid them if possible.
Idaho Code § 49-636. ONE-WAY HIGHWAYS
Upon a highway designated for one-way traffic, a vehicle shall be driven only in the direction designated at all or such times as shall be indicated by traffic-control devices.
Idaho Code § 49-637. DRIVING ON HIGHWAYS LANED FOR TRAFFIC
Whenever any highway has been divided into two (2) or more clearly marked lanes for traffic the following, in addition to all else, shall apply:
- A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practicable entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from that lane until the driver has first ascertained that the movement can be made with safety.
- Upon a highway which is divided into three (3) lanes and provides for two-way movement of traffic, a vehicle shall not be driven in the center lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle traveling in the same direction when the center lane is clear of traffic within a safe distance, or in preparation for making a left-turn or where the center lane is at the time allocated exclusively to traffic moving in the same direction that the vehicle is proceeding and the allocation is designated by a traffic-control device.
- Traffic-control devices may be erected directing specified traffic to use a designated lane, or designate those lanes to be used by traffic moving in a particular direction, regardless of the center of the highway and drivers of vehicles shall obey the directions of every device.
- Traffic-control devices may be installed prohibiting the changing of lanes on sections of highways and drivers of vehicles shall obey the directions of every device.
Idaho Falls and Pocatello Auto Accident Lawyer
The car accident lawyers at Brent Gordon Law in Idaho Falls and Pocatello are here to help you receive the compensation you deserve from your auto accident. Call our law office in Pocatello or Idaho Falls today for a free consultation with an experienced car accident attorney. We can usually tell you over the phone if you have a good case.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case
Idaho Falls Law Office
Our Idaho Falls, Idaho law office services clients in and surrounding Idaho Falls, including for injuries and accidents in Ammon, Rigby, injuries and accidents in Shelley and Blackfoot, and injuries and accidents in Rexburg. If you are looking for an attorney in the Idaho Falls area, visit or call our Idaho Falls office now. 3423 Merlin Dr., Idaho Falls, ID 83404 Phone:(208) 552-0467
Gordon Law Idaho Falls
Pocatello Law Office
Our Pocatello, Idaho law office services clients in and surrounding Pocatello, including for injuries and accidents in Chubbuck. If you are looking for an attorney in the Pocatello area, call our Pocatello office now. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve. Call (208) 232-7274 for a free consultation.151 North 3rd, Suite 202A Pocatello, ID 83204 Phone:(208)232-7274
Gordon Law Pocatello
Brent Gordon Law
Southeast Idaho Personal Injury Attorney Idaho Falls Personal Injury Attorney Pocatello Personal Injury Attorney Blackfoot Personal Injury Attorney Rexburg Personal Injury Attorney Rigby Personal Injury Attorney Car Accidents Worker's Compensation Semi Truck Accidents Motorcycle Accidents Wrongful Death Dog Bite Injuries Slip and Fall Accidents Bicycle Accidents Site Map