Before any kind of personal injury case can begin, a lawyer must first file an action. Idaho Civil Rule 3 is about what types of actions can be filed and what is required to file them. The first and most important point about Rule 3 is that there is only one type of action that can be filed under the Idaho Rules of Civil Procedure. This action is the civil action. This was previously discussed in Idaho Civil Rule 2 as well.
Idaho Civil Rule 3 also makes clear that a new case does not start until there has been a complaint, petition or application filed with the court. This is important because it means that the Statute of Limitation for a particular case can be counting down, even if the two parties are in negotiations with one another. The only way to stop a case from potentially being denied due to a violation of the statute of limitations is to formally file the case with the court.
Another important part of rule 3 is the case information sheet. This is a relatively new requirement in the Idaho Rules of Civil Procedure. The rule states what is required in the case information sheet in order for a case to be filed and reassures that this information is exempt from disclosure by the other party.
Personal Injury Lawyer in Pocatello or Idaho Falls
If you’ve been injured in an accident such as a car accident, motorcycle accident, truck accident, or any other personal injury accident, contact the experienced personal injury lawyers at Brent Gordon Law Firm. Our team of experienced, knowledgeable and aggressive attorneys will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve. Call our law office today for a free consultation about your case at (208) 552-0467.
Idaho Civil Rule 3: Commencement of Action
- Form of action. There shall be one form of action to be known as “civil action”.
- Filing of action. A civil action must be commenced by filing a complaint, petition or application with the court.
- Designation of parties. Any filing party must be designated as the plaintiff or petitioner, and any party against whom the same is filed must be designated as the defendant or respondent.
- Case information sheet.
- A requirement for all parties. With the exception of governmental entities as defined in Idaho Code § 6-902(3) and the case types listed in subsection (2) of this rule, all parties must file a completed Supreme Court approved case information sheet with that party’s first appearance in the case. This case information sheet is exempt from disclosure according to Rule 32, Idaho Court Administrative Rules.
- A requirement for initiating party only. In the following actions, a completed Supreme Court approved case information sheet must be filed with the complaint or petition by the initiating party:
- Termination of parental rights,
- Involuntary commitment, and
- Child protection act proceedings
This case information sheet is exempt from disclosure according to Rule 32, Idaho Court Administrative Rules.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case
Idaho Falls Law Office
Our Idaho Falls, Idaho law office services clients in and surrounding Idaho Falls, including for injuries and accidents in Ammon, Rigby, injuries and accidents in Shelley and Blackfoot, and injuries and accidents in Rexburg. If you are looking for an attorney in the Idaho Falls area, visit or call our Idaho Falls office now. 3423 Merlin Dr., Idaho Falls, ID 83404 Phone:(208) 552-0467
Gordon Law Idaho Falls
Pocatello Law Office
Our Pocatello, Idaho law office services clients in and surrounding Pocatello, including for injuries and accidents in Chubbuck. If you are looking for an attorney in the Pocatello area, call our Pocatello office now. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve. Call (208) 232-7274 for a free consultation.151 North 3rd, Suite 202A Pocatello, ID 83204 Phone:(208)232-7274
Gordon Law Pocatello
Brent Gordon Law
Southeast Idaho Personal Injury Attorney Idaho Falls Personal Injury Attorney Pocatello Personal Injury Attorney Blackfoot Personal Injury Attorney Rexburg Personal Injury Attorney Rigby Personal Injury Attorney Car Accidents Worker's Compensation Semi Truck Accidents Motorcycle Accidents Wrongful Death Dog Bite Injuries Slip and Fall Accidents Bicycle Accidents Site Map