Avoid a car accident when your brakes fail by knowing how to control your car. Knowing what to do in an emergency such as brake failure, could save your life and avoid a car accident. When you first notice your brakes are not working it can be a shocking experience. Here are some tips to keep in mind should you find your brakes failing as you are driving.
How to Avoid a Car Accident When Your Brakes Fail
- Stay Calm. Your first reaction might be to panic. Keeping a clear head will help you stop safely.
- Avoid A Car Accident If Your Brakes Fail by Moving Out of Heavy Traffic. If possible, move to a road with little to no traffic.
- Try the Brakes Again. Unless you are driving a classic, chances are your car has dual brakes. Dual brakes mean your front and rear brakes are controlled independently. Attempt to apply firm, consistent pressure to the brake pedal. If you are still not slowing down, use gravity to your advantage.
- Know How to Control Your Car.
- Shift to a lower gear. Many cars allow you to use the gear shifts. Shift to a lower gear to slow down naturally.
- Feel the brake pedal. Know how your brake pedal feels. If it is soft and goes to the floor easily, the brake fluid may be low, have a faulty master cylinder or problems with your calipers or drums. Try rebuilding some brake pressure by pumping the brakes. If the brake pedal is hard, it may have an obstruction or your brake system may have seized.
- Use the emergency brake (parking brake). It will take longer than normal but the emergency brake will stop you.
- Steer sharply from side-to-side. Turning creates friction on the wheels which could help you stop naturally. If you have space, steer or turn sharply to create friction.
- Continue to Pay Attention to Driving. While you are trying all these things to stop, make sure to keep steering.
- Warn Other Drivers. It may also be a good idea to turn your hazard lights on and honk to warn other drivers you have a situation.
Personal Injury Attorney Brent Gordon
To avoid a car accident when your brakes fail could be a difficult task. If you were unfortunately in a car accident, personal injury lawyer Brent Gordon in Idaho Falls and Pocatello to help. Brent is a trusted and aggressive personal injury attorney representing car accident victims in Idaho Falls, Pocatello and surrounding areas. Brent Gordon will help you get back on your feet after experiencing a car accident. Call our Idaho Falls law office today at (208) 552-0467 for a free consultation.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case
Idaho Falls Law Office
Our Idaho Falls, Idaho law office services clients in and surrounding Idaho Falls, including for injuries and accidents in Ammon, Rigby, injuries and accidents in Shelley and Blackfoot, and injuries and accidents in Rexburg. If you are looking for an attorney in the Idaho Falls area, visit or call our Idaho Falls office now. 3423 Merlin Dr., Idaho Falls, ID 83404 Phone:(208) 552-0467
Gordon Law Idaho Falls
Pocatello Law Office
Our Pocatello, Idaho law office services clients in and surrounding Pocatello, including for injuries and accidents in Chubbuck. If you are looking for an attorney in the Pocatello area, call our Pocatello office now. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve. Call (208) 232-7274 for a free consultation. 154 North Main St. Pocatello, ID 83204 Phone:(208) 232-7274
Gordon Law Pocatello
Southeast Idaho Personal Injury Attorney Idaho Falls Personal Injury Attorney Pocatello Personal Injury Attorney Blackfoot Personal Injury Attorney Rexburg Personal Injury Attorney Rigby Personal Injury Attorney Car Accidents Worker's Compensation Semi Truck Accidents Motorcycle Accidents Wrongful Death Dog Bite Injuries Slip and Fall Accidents Bicycle Accidents Site Map